Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Bumpy Roads

When I first started in Casa Grande I hadn’t really paid attention to the condition the streets were in. For the most part I drove on major streets and had no reason or didn’t know the little shortcuts that save you time. It wasn’t until my office was moved to city that I learned of the back way that saves a few minutes and avoids a school zone. All this time I had come down Pinal Ave and every time I’d drive through the school zone where the speed limit was reduced to 15mph.

One week I decided to cut through some of the small side streets in an attempt to find a better route. I quickly noticed just how bad the road was. At work we sometimes joke about how bad some of the streets are. As much as Casa Grande has spent on infrastructure and capital projects I would have thought that roads would be repaved. The problem was that because the city grew so fast there simply wasn’t time or money to do it all.

In all fairness the city just completed a major expansion of key east-west street – Cottonwood Lane. This is meant to alleviate traffic on Florence Blvd, the city’s major downtown street. Additional street improvements were in the works but had to be delayed due to the state sweeping funds from local governments. Eventually we’ll have smooth roads but for now I’ll wish from time to time I had an off road vehicle to drive through some of these street. At least that way my drive would be smoother.

No comments:

Post a Comment