Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Constantly learning even the basics

I never thought as myself as a technology expert but lately I have realized how much I know about basic computer software such as Adobe Acrobat and Microsoft Office. The various projects I have worked on have forced me to polish my skills and knowledge of those applications. As progress in my position as a Management Analyst I will learn business applications I have never come across before. In my position I essentially have to learn how to use the basic functions of a variety of software applications.

As I reached this conclusion I realized just how much I can continue to learn. As I reach graduation I was looking forward to putting down the textbooks. It appears now that I will be trading one textbook for a guide or manual of some sort of computer software. I always liked the idea of learning GIS but know that I will never use to the extent it is taught in certification programs.

No, I think to be successful in my positions and my career I need to develop a well rounded skill set in a variety of subjects related to city government. I also need to learn a basic knowledge as it applies to all the city departments. I’ve learned a great deal about law enforcement and law that govern they’re activates. I’ve learned a little more than just the basics about sales taxes, property taxes and the impact they have on budgets. With the variety of departments and divisions it may be a while before I developed a good knowledge and skill base. Never-the-less, I intend on continue to expand my knowledge and possibly continue my education with another masters or may be even a doctorate degree.

No comments:

Post a Comment