Sunday, May 9, 2010

Juveniles

Friday while I was doing some research on a new project I happen to come across an Interview with Author and Activist Luis J. Rodríguez. Rodríguez is a former gang member who became an author and community activist. He travels throughout the country spreading his message of community-building and hope. The interview was relatively short but I related and agreed on much of what he said. In particular I was captured by the following question and answer he gave:

“Q. How can people build positive communities in places where violence is so prevalent?

A. I think we have to listen to the kids who are the most troubled. You have to look at the root of problem because otherwise we tend to hack at the branches but never get to the roots. If you look at the roots of the problem, you’re looking at poverty, jobs, and lack of real educational opportunities. You’re looking at people feeling that they have no way to move up. I think that these are hard-working people, but sometimes there are no ladders to climb. I think it’s important that we help create those ladders.”

I whole-heartedly agree with Rodríguez having worked as a teaching assistant at school for teens that were under expulsion from the school district or considered high risk. I know what many of these students face and have to go through. Currently I volunteer twice a month with the Maricopa Juvenile Probation Department and I like to think that the juveniles I come across are genuinely good but need greater guidance. I hear some cases and think that they’re lucky they’re in front of my panel and not a judge where they potentially can face jail time. But I strongly agree that to solve many of the problems in a community you have to ask those having the most problems. Only after we have serious conversations and listen to the real troubles juveniles are facing will we begin to address the problems in many of our communities.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you too that in order to help build the positive communities you have to look at the source of the problems. I've never had the opportunity to work with under-privileged or high risk kids but I can imagine it's not always easy. I think that working with a child of any background what can sometimes be the most important or influential act is to be a positive role model. I think ultimately every kid wants to be recognized for what they do and for people to give them positive encouragement. But I also think that in order for a kid to want to act or behave positively then they need someone to look up to.

    ReplyDelete